Saturday, November 17, 2007

Swaps: Journal-making done

As I mentioned in my post about swaps, one of the swaps I am in is all about making a journal for someone else. Now, since I don't know my swap partner, I had to do a bit of investigating. Seems she lives in Texas and is a professional designer. From comments on her blog, I was able to intuit that she tends toward a bit funky but sophisticated style -- check out her blog here.

So here's what I came up with for her:
A journal with a ribbon cover and a coordinating "bell-pull" style bookmark with a funky bead squiggle on the end.

Here's how I made this one:

  • Ribbons: Two 10" wide 3-3/4" ribbon pieces (with a brocade look); one 18" wide 2-2/1" ribbon
  • 12" piece 18-gauge funwire
  • Seventeen 3x5mm metallic pony beads
  • Tacky glue
  • Scissors
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • 5x8" hard-covered journal/sketch book (black used for this project, could be any color!)
  • Ruler
  • Pencil

Measure the ribbon and center on the front cover of the journal. Ribbon should extend 1/2 to 1-inch beyond edges of journal (top and bottom). Using tacky glue, glue ribbon to cover, making sure all edges are down. Glue sheet facing cover to cover (to hide the ribbon ends). Let dry completely.

Make bookmark: fold edges of 18" ribbon piece into a point. (see picture below). Glue tips down.While bookmark ribbon is drying, make the wire squiggle. Taking a 12-inch piece of funwire and using the needle-nose pliers, make a rolled end. String pony beads in any pattern you desire. My metallic beads blend nicely with the gold of the ribbon. Using the pencil, take the wire with the beads already strung and wrap loosely around the pencil. The "squiggle" should be about 2 inches long. Make a twist in the wire to hold the beads in place.Take the now-dry bookmark ribbon, fold the ribbon in half-lengthwise so points meet. Place the metal wire down the center of the folded ribbon. Run tacky glue all over the ribbon and fold, making sure wire is completely within the ribbon (with just the squiggle sticking out) and centered. Let dry completely.

I hope she enjoys this sophisticated, yet a bit funky, journal!

No comments: