Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: In Praise of the Needlewoman: Embroiderers, Knitters, Lacemakers and Weavers in Art

I found a GREAT book the other day that proves that knitting truly is an art-form; proof of such is that this simple, domestic act is celebrated in true art -- paintings by some of the best!  Don't believe me?  Check out In Praise of the Needlewoman: Embroiders, Knitters, Lacemakers and Weavers in Art by Gail Carolyn Sirna proves this much better than I can ... with over 80 paintings depicting women stitching, knitting, lace-making, weaving or doing just about any other needle-plying activity!  These are gorgeous paintings and I'm already planning to use this book as a spine for our homeschool next fall: picture study using the artists portrayed in this book .. a different artist each 3-4 weeks ... and analyzing their styles and picture sources and messages.  Cool, huh????

Happy knittin'
Mary C. Gildersleeve
By Hand, With Heart -- hand-knit designs
bhwh.mary@gmail.com

1 comment:

Spinneretta said...

Oh yes- super :) I went through a phase where I collected images like this for my desktop- they had to be doing spinning or weaving or knitting or something like it :)