Friday, January 01, 2010

Roadtrip Sox: Last knitting of 2009

Here are my Roadtrip Socks ... I started them just before leaving South Carolina (after a fabulous post-Christmas visit), continued them on the road to North Carolina .... worked on them while visiting with dear friends in Raleigh ... and then finished them up as we headed north back to the Old Dominion!

I made toe-up, two-at-a-time, short-row heel and then a loose bo (by doubling the yarn for the last round of ribbing and then bo).  I used 2 skeins of Knit Pick's Wool of the Andes in "evergreen" -- a rich, dark forest-green and knit them on US#2 needles (so it's a pretty firm sock -- perfect for winter or hiking boots during the summer).

These socks are for me ... I like to do a ribbed foot (this one is 2x2 rib) so that it hugs my high arch and fits my Fred-Flinstone-ish feet.  After the short-rowed ss heel, I inc the knit portion of the ribs to 3sts and then do a twist stitch cable for the leg ... bo'ing off loosely to ensure the sock will fit well on my calf.

Happy knittin'
Mary C. Gildersleeve
By Hand, With Heart -- hand-knit designs
bhwh.mary@gmail.com

2 comments:

The Bookworm said...

They look lovely and cosy.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!