Friday, January 12, 2007

Too busy visiting the frog pond to post

...yep, I'm in the midst of doing my best to knit a sweater for ME. Santa actually brought some beautiful Elann wool in shades of browns and yellows with a rich green for the background. I even did a cap swatch to ensure the colors blend well and to get a true, in the round, gauge.

My PLAN is to do an EZ fairisle sweater but with a henley style opening (the 3 buttons at the yoke) ... I started it once with a hem and didn't like that so .... rip it, rip it, rip it....

Then I re-started with a ribbed waistband (actually I think I'm going to make it long enough to have it sit on my hips) that uses the five background colors -- cream, yellow, gold, light brown, dark brown. I was going great guns, increased for the body using the green -- but FORGOT TO CHANGE THE NEEDLES ... this is a problem as I go 4 or 5 sizes down for the ribbing needles and so I was using 3s instead of 7s! A difference in gauge of 6.5 vs 4.25 per inch! So ... rip it, rip it, rip it ...

NOW, I think I finally have it back to working well ... I was able to get a few hours last night to do the mindless, all-one-color knitting that in the round is a blast becuase it's ALL knit without counting or changing colors or anything....

Keep your fingers crossed, though -- just in case!

2 comments:

Jean said...

"henley-style opening": details, please!

Jean

Mary G said...

Jean -- in EZ's book, Knitting Around, she has a colored picture of the yoke sweater (on the front and in the colored photo section) that has 3 buttons down the front (just to above the underarm). This makes for a pullover with a bit more roominess at the head and neck....

This style requires sew-and-cut, so I'm still trying to decide if I want to go that route ... but I have time as I'm just to the solid green body and then I'll do the sleeves to the underarm and THEN join them to start the yoke.